In yet another new chapter, a 1968 Gardan GY80 has been added to the list of interesting vehicles in my life. If I can maintain some discipline, I hope to journal the story of this plane, its history and the journey I take to keep it flying.
A Fellow Gardan owner
As I started researching this plane, before purchasing it…I was inspired by a few connections, content and links to information. Robin has been an absolutely amazing contact and fellow Gardan owner. It’s been great learning from his experience and I hope I can someday do the same for someone else.
1968 Sud Aviation Gardan GY-80-180 Horizon
Here are some of basic specifications and performance details of this unusual aircraft.
- Chromoly tube chassis around passenger space and engine mounts
- 4 passenger with baggage behind rear seat and hat rack
- 2 doors
- Retractable gear (partially)
- Unique mechanical crank system lowers the flaps and landing gear simultaneously
- Lycoming O-360-A3A, 180 HP, 4-cylinder engine
- Hartzell constant speed propeller
- Top speed: 155 mph
- Cruise speed: 152 mph
- Real-world cruise: 140 mph @ 9.5 gph
- Over 1,025 lbs useful load
- 52 gallons, 21 gal each wing, 10.5 gal rear tank under back seat
- Real-world distance: @ 550-600 miles
- Stall speed: 58 mph
- Climb speed: 93 mph
- Rate of climb: 850-900 ft/min
Gardan GY-80 Resources and Information
Owner’s Group (France)
Lâ€™Association des PropriÃ©taires & Amateurs dâ€™avions GARDAN